Welcome to Somerset, the land of the summer people. We hope the following visitor information will make your visit more enjoyable during your stay here at Mill Meadow.
Before your arrival please make sure you have read our Terms and Conditions.
At Mill Meadow, we have a firm and evolving commitment to maintain and improve on the “Green Ethos” of Mill Meadow, outlined in our Green Policy.
Emergency Numbers: 999 (112 from a mobile phone) and ask for Fire, Police, Ambulance or Coastguard.
Mill Meadow is at postcode: TA2 8HL
The Mill Meadow Property Manager can be contacted on 07779 651911. After 9pm only in an emergency.
To make use of our free Wi-Fi Service please enter your lodge name and the code supplied in the Welcome Folder in your lodge.
There is a strict No Smoking policy inside all lodges.
We welcome guests with additional needs but ask that they read our Access Statement before booking.
Safety & Facilities:
- The 5 mph Speed Limit onsite must be observed at all times, traffic calming measures are in place, for the safety of all guests particularly children at play and also wildlife.
- Outside taps with recycled rainwater are provided for washing boots, outdoor clothing, bicycles and muddy dogs.
- Bicycles can be stored in the utility room in most of the lodges.
- The utility rooms have a drying rack and washing machine. Please use the most environmentally friendly programme at a low temperature if possible.
- Most lodges have access to a tumble dryer; please be aware of the impact of their use.
- All our lodges (except Swallows Barn) have a private hot tub that can be hired at a cost of £95 per stay.
- All lodges are fully equipped with the necessary kitchenware and usual domestic appliances to ensure you have a comfortable and relaxing stay at Mill Meadow – please ask if there is anything further you require.
- There are portable BBQ’s available on request for a small charge of £30.
- We regret that fireworks are not permitted on site as our wildlife is easily scared.
We can provide details of a box scheme for local produce.
We are happy to take receipt of groceries from internet orders (subject to arrangement and notice) – suppliers include:
- Somerset Farmers Markets – www.localfooddirect.co.uk
Taunton has several large supermarkets, the nearest to Mill Meadow is Morrison’s and there are also the following local grocery stores:
- Morrison’s, TA1 1DX – Tel: 01823 351598.
- Tesco Express, 36 Priorswood Road, TA2 7PS – Tel: 0845 671 9541. Open from 6.00am – 11.00pm. Free ATM. 5 min drive
- The Co-operative, 169 Cheddon Road, TA2 7AH – Tel: 01823 257888. Long opening hours. Free ATM. 10 min drive.
- Staplegrove Post Office and Stores, Manor Road, TA2 6AN – Tel: 01823 333071. 5 min drive.
- Stores: Mon – Sat 6.30am – 9pm and Sun 7am – 9pm
- Post Office: Mon – Sat 7am – 8pm and Sun 8am – 8pm
There is no grocery store in the Kingston St Mary but basic items (bread, milk, newspapers etc.) can be delivered by daily by arrangement.
- Musgrove Park Hospital TA1 5DA – Tel: 01823 333444. Full Accident & Emergency Service.
- NHS Direct (Non Emergency Advise) – Tel: 111
- Lyngford Park Doctor’s Surgery, Fletcher Close TA2 8SQ – Tel: 01823 333355
- Kilkenny House Dental Practice TA2 7PH – Tel: 01823 333535
- County Veterinary Clinic, 137 Kingston Rd, TA2 7SR – Tel: 01823 326222
- ASDA Superstore Creechbarrow Rd -Tel: 01823 252701. Open 24hr (not Sat & Sun nights)
- Morrisons, TA1 1DX – Tel: 01823 351598
Public Transport, Taxi and other information:
We can provide pick up from the local bus and train stations, and arrange an airport pick up if required.
- Taxis: A1 ACE Taxis – Tel: 01823 332211
- Bus to Taunton: There is a bus stop at Mill Cross, the junction of Parsonage Lane and Kingston Road. A bus timetable can be found in the Reception window.
- Local Tourist Office, Taunton – Tel:01823 336344.
- Cash Machines – Tesco Express, Priorswood Rd or the Co-Op, Cheddon Rd
- Public Telephone – There is no public phone in the area, please ask if you require assistance.
- Post Box – At Mill Cross on the junction of Parsonage Lane and Kingston Road. Collection 9am Monday – Friday and 7am Saturday.
- Taunton Leisure – 01823 332987 http://www.tauntonleisure.com
- Angling – Taunton Angling Centre 01823 282518 http://www.tauntonanglingcentre.co.uk/
Local Restaurants, Cafes and Pubs:
There are many good restaurants and pubs that serve excellent quality food and offer fine dining. We have listed several that have been recommended by previous guests. Further information is available in the lodge and we are also happy to discuss your needs for planning a meal out. We advise phoning your choice to check their opening times (some are not open all day). Most will require you to book in advance.
- The Swan, Kingston St Mary – our local pub, easy walking distance. Dogs welcome in the garden only. Booking essential. Tel: 01823 451383 http://www.swanpubkingston.co.uk/
- Podshavers, Bishops Lydeard – good for fish. Tel: 01823 433556 http://www.podshavers.co.uk/
- The Travellers Rest, Nr Kingston St Mary – Historic coaching inn on the Quantock Hills, guests comment on the excellent steaks. You cannot book so arrive early to secure a table. Tel: 01278 671367
- Clavelshay Barn, Clavelshay – nestled in the Quantock Hills, excellent reputation, local home reared meats. Tel: 01278 662629 http://www.clavelshaybarn.co.uk/
- The Blue Ball Inn, Triscombe – situated at the foot of the Quantock Hills: good for walkers. Tel: 01984 618242 http://www.blueballinn.info/
- The Rising Sun Inn, West Bagborough – village pub with chic dining. Tel: 01823 432575 http://risingsuninn.info/
- The O’Bridge, Brewers Fayre Pub, Taunton TA2 7RX – ideal for children with soft play area and long opening hours. Tel: 01823 422340 http://www.brewersfayre.co.uk/
- Mint and Mustard – Award winning Indian cuisine in Taunton. Free delivery on orders over £30. Tel: 01823 330770 http://www.mintandmustard.com/taunton/
- China China – Cantonese restaurant situated near Taunton station. Tel: 01823 278889 http://chinachinataunton.com/
- Driftwood Café – Blue Anchor Bay – Our favourite after a beach walk! Dogs always welcome. Tel: 01643 821697
- The Pines Café, Buncombe Hill, Spaxton TA5 1AX – Good for Breakfast after a morning walk on the Quantocks, open from 10.30am. Tel: 01823 451245 http://www.pinescafe.com/
- Monkton Elm Garden Centre, West Monkton, Taunton, TA2 8QN – Café serves breakfast from 9am. Why not go out for a cooked breakfast! Tel: 01823 412381 http://www.monktonelmgardencentre.co.uk/
- Daisy Cottage Tea Room, Bishops Lydeard TA4 3AT – Vintage Tea Room, open Tuesday to Sunday 9am – 4pm. Tel: 01823 617098
Local Fish and Chip Shop:
- Blue Ocean – “Best in Town” – 5 minutes drive, TA2 6ND – Tel: 01823 618200 (Telephone orders taken but do not deliver) Credit cards accepted.
Takeaways that deliver to Mill Meadow (delivery charges may apply and please check they can deliver on your chosen day).
- Open Rice – Chinese. Tel: 01823 288877 http://open-rice.co.uk
- Rajpoot – Tandoori. Tel: 01823 279300 http://rajpoottaunton.com
- Domino’s Pizza – Tel: 01823 259999 http://www.dominos.co.uk
- Chubby’s (Fish ‘n’ Chips, Pizza) – Tel: 01823 271652 http://www.just-eat.co.uk/
- The Brewhouse, Taunton, TA1 1JL – Tel: 01823 283244 http://www.tauntontheatre.org.uk/
- Tacchi Morris Arts Centre, Taunton, TA2 8PD – Tel: 01823 414141 http://www.tacchi-morris.com/
- The Wellsprings Centre, Cheddon Rd, Taunton TA2 7QP – Tel: 01823 271271
Also ask about amateur productions and village events.
Leisure Centres & Spas:
- Blackbrook Pavillion, Taunton TA1 2RW – Tel: 01823 333435. Gym, fitness studio, sports hall, toning suite, swimming pool, spa tennis centre. http://www.toneleisure.co.uk/blackbrook-pavilion/
- The Wellsprings Centre, Cheddon Rd, Taunton TA2 7QP – Tel: 01823 271271 http://www.toneleisure.co.uk/wellsprings-leisure-centre/
- Taunton Swimming Pool, Taunton, TA1 1NN – Tel: 01823 284108. Lane swimming times vary so check the website for details.
- Buff Urban Day Spa, Taunton, TA1 1NL – Tel: 01823 257445. http://www.buffdayspa.co.uk
- Enmore Park Golf Club, Enmore, TA5 2AN – Tel: 01278 672100 http://www.enmorepark.co.uk/
- Vivary Park Municipal Golf Club, Taunton, TA1 3JW – Tel: 01823 289274 http://vivarygolf.com/
- Oake Manor Golf Club, Oake, TA4 1BA – Tel: 01823 461993 http://www.oakemanor.com/
There are many local walks from Mill Meadow. A local area map and OS maps are available in your lodge/cottage. You are welcome to use these but please leave for future guests. The Quantock Hills offer many great walks. The Macmillan Way West across the Quantock Hills and The Coleridge Way are wonderful walking experiences.
For more details just ask or visit: http://www.discoveringbritain.org/walks/region/south-west-england/quantocks.html
Local Places of Interest:
Information leaflets are available in your lodge/cottage for many places of interest in the area and further afield. Close to us are:
- Quantock Hills: The hills surrounding Mill Meadow was the first site in England to be designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, inspiring the poetry of both Coleridge and Wordsworth. (www.quantockonline.co.uk)
- Hestercombe: Unique collection of three gardens spanning three centuries of garden history and design. All have undergone acclaimed restoration works. With over fifty acres of lakes, temples, cascades, woodland walks, formal terraces, vivid colours, plus amazing views. Excellent café and dogs welcome. TA2 8LG. (www.hestercombe.com) 2.6 miles
- Fyne Court: National Trust and Somerset Wildlife Trust. Pleasure grounds of pioneer 19th-century electrician, Andrew Cross, now a nature reserve. Headquarters of Quantock Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty also has a Visitor’s Centre for the lovely Quantocks countryside. Address: Fyne Court, Broomfield, TA5 2EQ. Tel: 01823 652400 (www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fyne-court/) 2.4 miles
- The Museum of Somerset: – Home of the “Frome Hoard”, which is the largest collection of Roman coins ever discovered in a single container in Britain. Entry is free. Address: Taunton Castle, Castle Green, Taunton, TA1 4AA. Tel: 01823 255088. (www.somerset.gov.uk) 3 miles
- West Somerset Railway: Steam Trains to the seaside. England’s longest and best heritage railway. 10 stations linked by a 20 mile scenic journey through the Quantocks Hills to the seaside. The nearest station to us is Bishops Lydeard Station, TA4 3RU.
- Vivary Park, Taunton: Traditional public park/open space, close to the town centre with two playgrounds, tennis courts, model railway, golf course and hi ropes. TA1 3SX (www.tauntondeane.gov.uk)
Things to do with Children:
- Kingston St Mary Playing Fields – Open space in the village with play equipment within an easy walk, see laminated walking guide. Dogs not allowed.
- J’z: Activity Centre: Adventure play, TA2 6BB. 10 minutes drive. Tel:01823 351663. http://www.ajzactivitycentre.co.uk
- Vivary Adventure Centre: TA1 3JT. 5 minutes walk from Taunton town centre. Tel: 01823 217117. http://www.toneleisure.co.uk/vivary-adventure-centre/
- Hollywood Bowl: TA1 2LP. 3 miles drive from Mill Meadow. Tel: 0844 826 1471. http://www.hollywoodbowl.co.uk/our-centres/taunton
- Odeon Cinema: 3 miles drive from Mill Meadow. http://www.odeon.co.uk/cinemas/taunton/134/
The Countryside Code:
There are five sections of The Countryside Code dedicated to helping members of the public respect, protect and enjoy the countryside. Follow this link for more information: www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk
Some of our lodges/cottages have under floor heating and this is set to maintain an ambient room temp of 20- 22 degrees centigrade. If the room temperature is within the set range, the heating goes on standby and the tiled floor will feel cooler. When the room temp falls, the under-floor heating will start again and the floor will warm up. The floor can feel cool when the house is at the set temperature. For that reason, we advise guests to bring slippers or similar for their comfort.
Kingfisher and Woodpecker Lodges have log burners – these can be used to boost room temperature but due to the very high insulation standards of the lodges, the log burner need only be used for a short period if time. Wood and fire-lighting materials are supplied.
These combined methods of heating are highly energy efficient and help us to provide our guests with comfort and do our bit for the environment.
We are committed to our Green Policy and we ask that lights and appliances be turned off when not in use and when you leave the lodge/cottage.
In line with our Green Policy, we recycle as much waste as we can at Mill Meadow and there is a colour coded sorting guide available in your lodge. In Woodpecker, Kingfisher, Robins, Flycatcher and Cuckoo lodges, the recycling bins are situated in the utility rooms. For Swallows Barn and House Martins, there are external bin stores.
We recycle food waste in Somerset, and at Mill Meadow, we also compost vegetable matter. So please do not put ANY food waste in the black bin bag – please use the brown bins with special composting bags which are provided. Each lodge also has a rubbish bin or wheelie bin for waste that cannot be recycled. Please double bag nappies and dog waste before placing in the black bin bags provided.
Please be aware that an additional housekeeping charge may apply if guests choose not to recycle their waste.
We have a lot of badgers around the site so please make sure bins are closed securely.
We appreciate your support with our recycling policy.
Well-behaved Dogs are always welcome in all lodges (except Flycatcher and Heron). There is an extra charge of £35 per dog per stay.
Please help us by keeping your dogs on the ground floor in the lodges/cottages and out of the bedrooms – stair-gates are provided. Please also keep dogs off the beds and sofas. Do not leave dogs unattended in the lodges/cottages at any time. We ask you to bring dog towels to help keep them clean and dry inside, but we have plenty if you forget. Do not use the inside wet rooms to wash your dogs. Please use the external taps provided.
Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times when outside the property for the safety of your pet and respect for other guests. Pick up after your dog from all areas of Mill Meadow. A portable dog run can be placed in the car parking or garden area of your lodge (except Swallows Barn) please asks for further information.
If you would like some information on local short walks, please ask.
Within and surrounding Mill Meadow, you will discover an extensive and varied cross section of native flora and fauna.
The landscaped areas within Mill Meadow are designated wildlife areas carefully managed to provide a valuable habitat for common and protected species. We ask that you please respect these areas from a discreet distance and sit back and observe the beauty that nature offers.
Please show consideration to other guests and our neighbours by keeping noise levels outside your lodge/cottage to an absolute minimum after 10:30pm.
Please vacate the hot tubs by 11:00pm.
Non – Resident Guests:
If you wish to invite friends or family to visit during your stay, you must request this on your booking form and await consent. Under no circumstances must visitors arrive on site without prior and reasonable notification. All non-resident guests must be off site by 11:30pm and are not allowed to stay over night, unless previously agreed with the owners.
Care of wooden floors:
In the lodges/cottages that have wooden floors, we ask that no outside footwear is worn upstairs, high-heeled shoes especially cause damage to the wood.
We ask that you don’t touch the Wi-Fi box in your lodge. If you have a problem with the connection please ask us to help.
The majority of our properties have a private hot tub, which can be hired for an additional £95. The hot tubs are capable of accommodating normal use by the guests in that lodge/cottage. We ask that you bring beach towels for use for the hot tub and suitable footwear given the decking can become slippery when wet or in icy conditions.
Excessive use or over occupancy can cause water quality problems, which may require the hot tub to be drained and refilled. In such circumstances a refill charge of £95 will apply and you will not be able to use the hot tub until the water get backs to temperature.
If you are booking multiple lodges and require hot tub use, we strongly recommend that you book several hot tubs and that guests use the one that is in their lodge. This removes any risk and provides for the best experience during your stay.
Please note on busy changeover days and in the winter months the hot tub may not be up to the correct operating temperature on your arrival day.
Normally, we will be available when you depart but if not, please turn off all lights and appliances, close windows and lock the lodge/cottage before placing the keys in the mailbox by the Mill Meadow site plan.
Feedback and suggestions are very important to us and our owners. We are always looking for ways to improve the experience of our guests at Mill Meadow. Each lodge/cottage has a visitor’s book and after you leave you will receive an email with details on how to leave a review but we also value feedback on TripAdvisor.
You can also find us on social media:
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/MillMeadowEcoHome
- Twitter – @MillMeadowEco
- Instagram – @millmeadow
Problems & Observations:
We want you to enjoy your stay so if you have any concerns, please notify us immediately so that we can deal with them promptly.
Before you leave us:
You are required to vacate your lodge/cottage by 10:00am
We ask that when your stay with us is over, you leave the lodge/cottage clean and tidy and support our recycling procedures. Also please let us know if there has been anything broken or damaged as per the TERMS AND CONDITIONS you accepted on booking.
Please leave in date food in the fridge for us to deal with or place in the food waste bin.
White towels, bath mats, tea towels and oven gloves – if any of these items are not used, in order to save unnecessary washing, please leave on the bedside table or chest of drawers.
PLEASE TAKE CARE WITH MAKE UP AND FAKE TAN ON OUR TOWELS AND BEDDING AS WE MAY HAVE TO PASS EXTRA WASHING COSTS ON TO YOU. ALSO TAKE CARE IF YOU DO NEED TO WASH OUR BEDDING OR TOWELS. PLEASE KEEP THE WHITES SEPARATE FROM COLOURED GARMENTS – THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.
Whatever the occasion is that brings you to Mill Meadow and to Somerset, it is important to us that you enjoy your stay with “the summer people” so please let us know if there is anything specific not already covered.
We hope you enjoy your stay at Mill Meadow and in Somerset – please tell your family and friends about us too!
Chris Heayns, Managing Director