Welcome to Somerset, the land of the summer people. We hope the following visitor information will make your visit more enjoyable during your stay here at Mill Meadow.
Emergency Numbers: 999 (112 from a mobile phone) and ask for Fire, Police, Ambulance or Coastguard.
Mill Meadow is at postcode: TA2 8HL
The Mill Meadow Property Manager can be contacted on 07779 651911.
After 9pm only in an emergency. Our Reception is not manned at all times.
To make use of our free Wi-Fi Service please enter your lodge name and the code supplied in the Welcome Folder in your lodge.
There is a strict No Smoking policy inside all lodges
Outside taps with recycled rainwater are provided for washing boots, outdoor clothing, bicycles and muddy dogs.
Bicycles can be stored in the utility room in most of the lodges.
The utility rooms have a drying rack and washing machine. Please use the most environmentally friendly programme at a low temperature if possible.
Most lodges have access to a tumble dryer; please be aware of the impact of their use.
All our lodges (except Swallows Barn) have a private hot tub that can be hired at a cost of £90 per stay.
All lodges are fully equipped with the necessary kitchenware and usual domestic appliances to ensure you have a comfortable and relaxing stay at Mill Meadow – please ask if there is anything further you require.
There are portable BBQ’s available on request for a small charge of £25.
Please be aware that decking and paths around the lodges may become slippery, especially when wet or icy.
We can provide details of a box scheme for local produce.
We are happy to take receipt of groceries from internet orders (subject to arrangement and notice) – suppliers include:
- Somerset Farmers Markets – www.localfoodsdirect.co.uk
Taunton has many supermarkets throughout the town, with Morrisons being the closest to us. The nearest Waitrose is based in Wellington about 10 miles from Mill Meadow.
Local grocery stores include:
- Tesco Express – 36 Priorswood Road TA2 7PS. Tel: 08456719541. Open from 6.00am – 11.00pm, has cash machine and is only approx. 5 mins drive from your lodge
- The Co-operative – 169 Cheddon Road TA2 7AH. Tel: 01823 257888. Long opening hours – 10 mins drive from your lodge
- Staplegrove Post Office – Corkscrew Lane, TA2 6AN. Tel: 01823 325481
Hospital, Doctors & Dental:
The nearest Hospital is Musgrove Park TA1 5DA . Tel: 01823 333444 where there is a full Accident & Emergency service.
NHS Direct can be contacted on 0845 4647 or 111
The nearest doctor’s surgery is Lyngford Park, Fletcher Close Tel: 01823 333355
The nearest dental surgery is Kilkenny House Dental Practice Tel: 01823 333535
- ASDA Superstore Creechbarrow Rd. Tel: 01823 252701 Open 24hr (not Sat & Sun nights)
- Morrisons (near Taunton Station) TA1 1DX. Tel: 01823 351598.
Public Transport, Taxi and other information:
We can provide pick up from the local bus and train stations and arrange airport pick up’s if required. Just tell us what you need.
- ACE Taxis – 01823 332211
- Deane Taxis – 01823 322300
- Charlie Cabs – 01823 413050
- Swift Cabs – 01823 212226
Local Bus Service to Taunton Town Centre:
There is a bus stop point at Mill Cross, the junction of Parsonage Lane and Kingston Road. Turn left at the entrance to Mill Meadow and walk 50m.
Buses depart at: 08.22am (not Saturday), 10.28am, 12.21am, 14.36pm
Buses return to Kingston St Mary from The Parade, Taunton at: 11.00am, 13.15pm, 15.10pm, 16.45pm (not Saturday)
Weather – http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3631
Local Tourist Office – 01823 336344 http://www.visitsomerset.co.uk/
Nearest Cash Machine – Tesco Express or the Co-Op, Cheddon Road ( See previous)
Public Telephone – Opposite The Swan Inn, Kingston St Mary Village
Post Box – At Mill Cross on the junction of Parsonage Lane and Kingston Road. Last collection is 16.00pm Monday – Friday.
Taunton Leisure – 01823 332987 http://www.tauntonleisure.com/
Oswald Bailey – 01823 276662 http://www.oswaldbailey.co.uk/
Bicycle Hire – Quantocks Cycling Hub – Available at our Reception
Angling – Taunton Angling Centre 01823 282518 http://www.tauntonanglingcentre.co.uk/
Local Restaurants and Pubs:
There are many good restaurants and pubs that serve excellent quality food and offer fine dining (too many to mention). We have listed several that have been recommended by previous guests. Further information is available in the lodge and we are also happy to discuss your needs for planning a meal out. We advise phoning your choice of restaurant or pub to check their opening times (some are not open all day). Most will require you to book in advance.
- The Swan, Kingston St Mary – our local pub, easy walking distance. Dogs welcome in the garden only. Booking advisable. Tel: 01823 451383 http://www.swanpubkingston.co.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/werockhospitality/
- Podshavers, Bishops Lydeard – good for fish. Tel: 01823 433556 http://www.podshavers.co.uk/
- The Travellers Rest, Nr Kingston St Mary – Historic coaching inn. Please note: CASH ONLY. Tel: 01278 671367
- Clavelshay Barn, Clavelshay – nestled in the Quantock Hills, excellent reputation, local home reared meats. Tel: 01278 662629 http://www.clavelshaybarn.co.uk/
- The Blue Ball Inn, Triscombe – situated at the foot of the Quantock Hills: good for walkers. Tel: 01984 618242 http://www.blueballinn.info/
- The Farmers Arms, Coombe Florey – thatched pub with lovely garden. Dogs welcome. Tel: 01823 432267 http://www.farmersarmsatcombeflorey.co.uk/
- The Rising Sun Inn, West Bagborough – village pub with chic dining. Tel: 01823 432575 http://risingsuninn.info/
- The O’Bridge, Brewers Fayre Pub, Taunton TA2 7RX – ideal for children with soft play area and long opening hours. Tel: 01823 422340 http://www.brewersfayre.co.uk/
- Mint and Mustard – Award winning Indian cuisine in Taunton. Free delivery on orders over £30. Tel: 01823 330770 http://www.mintandmustard.com/taunton/
- China China – Cantonese restaurant situated near Taunton station. Tel: 01823 278889 http://chinachinataunton.com/
- Driftwood Café – Blue Anchor Bay – Our favourite after a beach walk! Dogs always welcome. Tel: 01643 821697
- The Pines Café, Buncombe Hill, Spaxton TA5 1AX – Good for Breakfast after a morning walk on the Quantocks, open from 10.30am. Tel: 01823 451245 http://www.pinescafe.com/
- Monkton Elm Garden Centre, West Monkton, Taunton, TA2 8QN – Café serves breakfast from 9am. Why not go out for a cooked breakfast! Tel: 01823 412381 http://www.monktonelmgardencentre.co.uk/
Takeaways that deliver to Mill Meadow (delivery charges may apply):
- Open Rice – Chinese. Tel: 01823 288877 http://open-rice.co.uk
- Rajpoot – Tandoori. Tel: 01823 279300 http://rajpoottaunton.com
- Domino’s Pizza – Tel: 01823 259999 http://www.dominos.co.uk
Tacchi Morris Arts Centre, Taunton, TA2 8PD – Box office 01823 414141 http://www.tacchi-morris.com/
The Wellsprings Centre, Cheddon Rd, Taunton TA2 7QP 01823 271271
Also ask about amateur productions and village events
There are many local walks from your Mill Meadow – a local area map and OS maps are available in your lodge. You are welcome to use these but please leave for future guests. The Quantock Hills offer many great walks. The Macmillan Way West across the Quantock Hills and The Coleridge Way are wonderful walking experiences. For more details just ask or visit: http://www.discoveringbritain.org/walks/region/south-west-england/quantocks.html
Local Places of Interest:
Information leaflets are available in your lodge for many places of interest in the area and further afield. Close to us are:
- Quantock Hills: The hills surrounding Mill Meadow was the first site in England to be designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, inspiring the poetry of both Coleridge and Wordsworth. (www.quantockonline.co.uk)
- Hestercombe: Unique collection of three gardens spanning three centuries of garden history and design. All have undergone acclaimed restoration works. With over fifty acres of lakes, temples, cascades, woodland walks, formal terraces, vivid colours, plus amazing views. Excellent café and dogs welcome. (www.hestercombe.com) 2.6 miles
- Fyne Court: National Trust and Somerset Wildlife Trust. Pleasure grounds of pioneer 19th-century electrician, Andrew Cross, now a nature reserve. Headquarters of Quantock Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty also has a Visitor’s Centre for the lovely Quantocks countryside. Address: Fyne Court, Broomfield, TA5 2EQ. Tel: 01823 652400 (www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fyne-court/) 2.4 miles
- The Museum of Somerset: – Home of the “Frome Hoard”, which is the largest collection of Roman coins ever discovered in a single container in Britain. Entry is free. Address: Taunton Castle, Castle Green, Taunton, TA1 4AA. Tel: 01823 255088. (www.somerset.gov.uk) 3 miles
- West Somerset Railway: Steam Trains to the seaside. England’s longest and best heritage railway. 10 stations linked by a 20 mile scenic journey through the Quantocks Hills to the seaside. The nearest station to us is Bishops Lydeard Station.
Enmore Park Golf Club, Enmore, TA5 2AN -01278 672100 http://www.enmorepark.co.uk/
Vivary Park Municipal Golf Club, Vivary Park, Taunton, TA1 3JW – 01823 289274 http://vivarygolf.com/
Oake Manor Golf Club, Oake, TA4 1BA – 01823 461993 http://www.oakemanor.com/
The Countryside Code:
There are five sections of The Countryside Code dedicated to helping members of the public respect, protect and enjoy the countryside. Follow this link for more information: www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk
Some of our lodges have under floor heating and this is set to maintain an ambient room temp of 20- 22 degrees centigrade. If the room temperature is within the set range, the heating goes on standby and the tiled floor will feel cooler. When the room temp falls, the under-floor heating will start again and the floor will warm up. The floor can feel cool when the house is at the set temperature. For that reason, we advise guests to bring slippers or similar for their comfort.
Kingfisher and Woodpecker Lodges have log burners – these can be used to boost room temperature but due to the very high insulation standards of the lodges, the log burner need only be used for a short period if time. Wood and fire-lighting materials are supplied.
These combined methods of heating are highly energy efficient and help us to provide our guests with comfort and do our bit for the environment.
We are committed to our Green Policy and we ask that lights and appliances be turned off when not in use and when you go out.
We recycle as much waste as we can at Mill Meadow and there is a colour coded sorting guide available in your lodge. In Woodpecker, Kingfisher, Robins, Flycatcher and Cuckoo lodges, the recycling bins are situated in the utility rooms. For Swallows Barn and House Martins, there are external bin stores.
We recycle food waste in Somerset, and at Mill Meadow, we also compost vegetable matter. So please do not put ANY food waste in the black bin bag – please use the brown bins with special composting bags which are provided. Each lodge also has a rubbish bin or wheelie bin for waste that cannot be recycled. Please double bag nappies and dog waste before placing in the black bin bags provided.
We have a lot of badgers around the site so please make sure bins are closed securely.
We appreciate your support with our recycling policy.
Well-behaved pets are always welcome in all lodges (except Flycatcher). There is an extra charge of £25 per dog per stay.
Please help us by keeping your pets on the ground floor in the lodges and out of the bedrooms – stair-gates are provided. Please also keep pets off the beds and sofas. Do not leave pets unattended in the lodges at any time. We ask you to bring dog towels to help keep them clean and dry inside, but we have plenty if you forget. Do not use the inside wet rooms to wash your dogs. Please use the external taps provided.
Pets must be kept on a lead at all times when outside the property for the safety of your pet and respect for other guests. Pick up after your dog from all areas of Mill Meadow. A portable dog run can be placed in the car parking or garden area of your lodge (except Swallows Barn) please asks for further information.
If you would like some information on local short walks, please ask.
Within and surrounding Mill Meadow, you will discover an extensive and varied cross section of native flora and fauna.
The landscaped areas within Mill Meadow are designated wildlife areas carefully managed to provide a valuable habitat for common and protected species. We ask that you please respect these areas from a discreet distance and sit back and observe the beauty that nature offers.
Please show consideration to other guests and our neighbours by keeping noise levels outside your lodge, in particular on the decking and hot tub areas, to a minimum after 11.30pm. Please vacate the hot tubs by midnight.
Non – Resident Guests:
If you plan to invite family or friends to join you who are not staying at Mill Meadow, we ask that they leave by midnight and do so quietly.
Care of wooden floors:
In the lodges that have wooden floors, we ask that no outside footwear is worn upstairs, high-heeled shoes especially cause damage to the wood.
We ask that you don’t touch the Wi-Fi booster box in your lodge. If you have a problem with the connection please ask us to help.
Normally, we will be available when you depart but if not, please lock the lodge and place the keys in the mailbox at Reception.
Comments from our guests are always welcome either in our visitor’s book in the lodges or on our website or Facebook page, which is Mill Meadow Eco-Homes. Some of our lodges are also listed on Trip Advisor. Feedback and suggestions are very important to us and we are always looking for ways to improve and make the experience of our guests more enjoyable.
Previous guests have made the following comments:
“The use of a BBQ please” – we now have BBQ’s available to hire
“Salt and Pepper please” – we have placed both salt and pepper mills and ordinary salt and pepper in our lodges
“Hand Soap by the bathroom sinks please” – we have placed ”Ecover” soap in each bathroom, but please leave it for other guests after your departure
“Could we have a full-length mirror please” – we have a freestanding, full-length mirror available, used by many of our brides.
For our young guests we provide free travel cots and highchairs.
Problems & Observations:
We want you to enjoy your stay so if you have any concerns, please notify us immediately so that we can deal with them promptly.
Before you leave us:
We ask that when your stay with us is over, you leave the lodge clean and tidy and let us know if there has been anything broken or damaged as per the TERMS AND CONDITIONS you agreed to when you booked.
You are required to vacate your lodge by 10.00am.
White towels, bath mats, tea towels and oven gloves – if any of these items are not used, in order to save unnecessary washing, please leave on the bedside table or chest of drawers.
PLEASE TAKE CARE WITH MAKE UP AND FAKE TAN ON OUR TOWELS AND BEDDING AS WE MAY HAVE TO PASS EXTRA WASHING COSTS ON TO YOU. ALSO TAKE CARE IF YOU DO NEED TO WASH OUR BEDDING OR TOWELS. PLEASE KEEP THE WHITES SEPARATE FROM COLOURED GARMENTS – THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.
Whatever the occasion is that brings you to Mill Meadow and to Somerset, it is important to us that you enjoy your stay with “the summer people” so please let us know if there is anything specific not already covered in this information pack.
We hope you enjoy your stay at Mill Meadow and in Somerset – please tell your family and friends about us too!
Chris Heayns, Managing Director